The land on which the houses of the
Royal Crescent now stand was sold for building purposes in 1789
to a West Indian named J. B. Otto.
Otto began by erecting three houses
at each end of the Crescent. Having completed the six houses, Otto
return home to Barbados. Then, in January 1807, the Brighton Herald
recorded that Otto returned to Brighton and completed the construction
of the remaining houses in the Crescent.