The Chattri is a memorial on the Sussex South Downs to Indian soldiers who died whilst in Brighton during the First World War.
Hindu and Sikh soldiers who died whilst in Brighton were taken to a burning ghat situated on the Downs, near Patcham, where their bodies were cremated, and their Ashes afterwards scattered into the sea, in accordance with appropriate rites.
After the war, the Chattri memorial was erected on the site of this ghat. It was unveiled by the Prince of Wales in a ceremony on February 1st, 1921.
The Chattri bears the following inscription, in Urdu, Hindi and English:
To the memory of all Indian soldiers who gave their lives for their King-Emperor in the Great War, this monument, erected on the site of the funeral pyre where the Hindus and Sikhs who died in hospital at Brighton passed through the fire, is in grateful admiration and brotherly affection dedicated.
Since June 2000, a commemorative service has been held annually in honour of the Sikh and Hindu soldiers who died in Brighton during the First World War.
For more information, see chattri.org/.